Saturday, May 1, 2010

Who is Theology Barbie?

It started out as a way to make fun of me and my passion for God's Word. I won't say who started it:) It caught on and friends have added to the joke by accessorizing her with a laptop (with Logos) and a t-shirt that reads "I'd rather be exegeting". I won't get into some of the things my closest friends have suggested she might say...

What started out as a joke has actually become something that works for me. I'm the kind of person who never really "fit in" anyplace they ever tried. My personality is best described as "all points and corners". I've always been too much and not enough all at the same time. But when I really began to think about and embrace Theology Barbie, suddenly none of that mattered any longer.

So at this transition time in my life (as graduation and seminary loom ahead of me) I'm changing out the title I carried as Children's Minister for so long (High Grand Diva) to who I think I really might've been created to be - Theology Barbie. Lest you think too highly of me - or think that I think highly of myself - let me tell you a few things about Theology Barbie:

She doesn't have as many answers as she used to. She reads the Sermon on the Mount A LOT and wonders how it should be transforming her life. She asks "who is Jesus and what difference does it make?" Upon waking every morning her question is likely to be: okay, who is going to be God today? She is trying to live out the personhood of Jesus Christ in all she does - not just on Sunday mornings. You are likely to find her camped out with her theology books and a beer trying to make sense of how she should behave in this world as a resident alien of it. (She prays it doesn't involve giving up the beer by the way:)

So if you are looking for answers, her blog is not the likely place to find them. But if you are a fellow wanderer in the wilderness, if you too feel like you don't belong, or if you are also struggling with the idea of "kingdom" and what it looks like you might find some useful musings.

The perfect, sinless people need read no further...

3 comments:

  1. I am so not Theology Ken. Perhaps a theology Transformer, or Kingdom Iron Man. I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ba Ba BaNaBa BaNa BaNa BaNa Ba Ba Na Ba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Theology Skywalker, Duane.
    Adam

    ReplyDelete